A Travellerspoint blog

Milford Sound Boat Trippin'

Terrible weather but a brilliant boat cruise 23rd September 17

View Austrailia & New Zealand on FarandFree's travel map.

I woke at 6.30am to the rain beating off the camper again and got everything ready for the day so we could move off at 8am. A shower, some bran flakes and a cup of tea later and I was sorted and we were on the road.


The weather was progressively worsening and, trying to remain optimistic, we had a giggle as we passed a place called Knobs Flat and arrived at Milford Sound with only 5 minutes to spare before the departure of our boat cruise. We sprinted to the ferry terminal, jumped on the Mitre Peak Cruise boat, where we realised we were two of a group of around 15 people taking the tour that day, thankfully not overcrowded. Despite the horrible weather, we were very excited.

The cruise started and after I got straight into the complementary tea of coffee on board, we started taking some photos and began enjoying the trip. We passed a beautiful waterfall coming out of the quay that was over 100m, 3 tines the night of Niagara Falls, amazing!
Within no time we felt we had our monies worth as we became surrounded by dolphins, jumping out of the water and racing the bow of the boat. I couldn’t contain my excitement, the surreal beauty was astonishing.


The conductor of the tour sailed the boat right up to one of the massive permanent waterfalls so we could feel the sheer force of the water. We stood out in the rain most of the trip so due to already being soaked we stood closest of anyone to the waterfall getting drenched from the splashes as the boat moved under it. We were utterly soaked through but it was entirely worth it.

There were several points of interest thoroughly the tour including seal rock, where we managed to sea beautiful seals swimming around and climbing up onto the rocks, there was also Mt Kimberly (obviously exciting me!), that had been more commonly known as The Lion after its magnificence.


The tour was exceptional but we returned soaked and frozen to the bone and the unpleasantries involved with having to get changed out of the wet clothes were all to real. We got to driving though, warming up slowly eating a blueberry muffin each before the uphill fuel consumption left us with not enough fuel to get back to Te Anau, we had to detour.

The directions took us over 50km out of the way we needed to go, into a forested area that looked unknown to anyone never mind a petrol station. Yet, desperate, we carried on until we stumbled upon a little farm with a shop and a single fuel pump for themselves. They were selling fuel at 3.50 per litre, extortionate, but we couldn’t complain as they were lovely people, they sold us exactly what we needed to get back to Te Anau and we were on our way. Hunger and tiredness set in so we returned to the same campsite as the previous night threw together some spagbol sandwiches and jumped under the duvet at 5pm – not moving until 9am the following morning (apart from to get chocolate out of the fridge).

Posted by FarandFree 04:01 Archived in New Zealand Tagged waterfalls lakes trees sea boat milford_sound trip

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.